Sunday, February 3, 2008

Who Would Mind the Store - Hillary or Bill?


It looks like Bill Clinton might have toned down his rhetoric in the past week or so since he embarrassed his wife with his fiesty appearances. I'm sure she made it known to him that he wasn't helping her with his sarcastic blasts at Obama, so she put her foot down.

He may be a great asset to her in this election, causing some to believe that he will not only be the "co-president" but will actually be the one leading the nation should Hillary be elected.

I, for one, am not the least bit worried about Bill taking over and calling the shots when it comes to leading our nation. Hillary is her own woman, and, in fact, may have directed more of Bill's presidency that we would be comfortable knowing about. She has a great deal of power over her husband in so many ways. He needs her far more than she needs him these days, so although she will consult with him, the decisions that are made will be hers.

That is not to say two things. First, I am not saying that I want Hillary as our president. I haven't made up my mind yet, but lots would have to change for her to get my vote. Second, my comments are not to say that having Bill help lead the country would be bad. I have said many times, that were it not for his inability to control his urges and the inevitiable fallout it created, I think Bill Clinton had the opportunity to be a true statesman, particularly during these troubled times. But I cannot look at him without thinking of him slinking around the White House hallways and alcoves, doing what he will be remembered for most.

Even the ignominy of being impeached does not trump the thoughts many Americans have when they see Bill campaigning across the country. I did not favor impeachment at the time, as it is a weapon that should only be used for those high crimes and misdemeanors for which it was really intended. However, I still worry that Bill may not be able to control himself with even more time on his hands, and will further embarrass us all. Hillary is powerful and wears the pants, but she cannot watch the boy every minute.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comments about Bill and Hillary. Hillary is very much her own person. I don't worry much about Bill. I think if she is elected - and that's a big IF - Bill can be put to great use on world wide causes - say the middle east for one.

Anonymous said...

I really, really don't like Hillary. Partly because of the lying, partly because of the constant berating of all the other candidates, but mostly because of one of her campaign slogans. "women for clinton"

That's what really pisses me off. I think she's in it for the wrong reasons, I feel like she's in it less to fix our country and more to be the first female president. Which defiantly should not be a top priority when running for presidency in such fragile times.
The slogan really makes me angry because I feel it makes women seem stupid. Like we vote for people because they're the same sex as us, regardless of the issues. I'm all for women's rights and empowerment, but don't make it seem like we should all stick together just to get the first female in the white house. I'm sure it will happen eventually, I just don't know if I want it to happen to a person who makes it a major point in their campaign.