Thursday, May 8, 2008

We'll Wave to the Queen

I had ambitions to write enough blogs to keep up while we are gone on our "holiday" to Great Britain. Alas, "the best laid plans of mice and men, often go astray" and with a large editing job due, and with lots to read about Great Britain, and on and on, I just did not get the articles written ahead. So I will apologize, loyal readers, and I will promise to do better when I return from England, Scotland, and Wales.

I am sure I will keep up with the U.S. goings-on in the London Times and will have lots to say on my return. And unlike many others from our beloved country, we promise to behave in such a way to help enhance America's reputation abroad. I will not wear shorts, nor my Hawaiian shirts, and Diana will not ask a Scottish Highlander what he wears under his kilt.

We will promote America as the great place it has always been despite what those people say. We will at least try to eat some of the local specialties (spesh-e-al-ities as the Brits say adding a syllable that is not there), however, I won't ask what really goes into Scotland's haggis.


I will revel in the English history, the precursor of our own, and be awestruck by such edifaces as Westminster Abbey and Salisbury Cathedral, built 800 - 1000 years ago. We may also visit Scotland Yard, see Agatha Christie's "The Mouse Trap". and follow in the footsteps of Jack the Ripper. And if I see the Queen, I will do my best version of the Windsor wave and bow in great respect. Tally ho...

No comments: