Monday, April 27, 2009

Detroit Finally Defeats Pontiac


Sadly, today marked the beginning of the end of GMs stalwart middle-class Pontiac model. To say it is an end of an era is almost too trite, and unfortunately we may see more "endings" than "beginnings" in the American auto industry for some time.

I was closely related to three Pontiacs over my lifetime; the first a 1951 two-door, two-tone green model owned by my parents. A behemoth by today's standards, that car gave off a husky whirr from the automatic transmission (or was it Hydra-matic?) as it pulled away from a stop. I especially liked the lighted orange hood ornament of a stylized Indian Chief. It added a touch of class, especially at night, only to be outshone by the more uppity opera lights.
My second experience with a Pontiac, and another massive sedan, was with a 1957 Chieftain. I bought it in 1967, a little worn, and hardly a color I would have chosen - pink. Actually I think it was called "salmon" but I got more laughs protesting that it was salmon, not pink, than if I had just kept my mouth shut.
My third and last venture into Pontiacdom was when I bought my wife a 1979 Firebird Trans Am, black with gold accents. It was a tough car for sure, with rumbling exhaust and a T-top. It didn't last long, however, when my lovely wife fell asleep at the wheel returning from a conference and rolled it 2 1/2 times. Hanging from her seat belt, she was saved by that T-top and roll bar.

Ironically, Detroit has finally beaten Pontiac. In 1763, Pontiac, an Ottawa chieftain, attempted to take Fort Detroit by storming it with his band of Indians. They didn't beat the British but the Pontiac name was destined for history by his actions. That long history for Chief Pontiac's namesake will now soon end.

No comments: