Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Financial Reform Bill - Help from Both Sides?

I don’t know whether the upcoming financial reform bill is exactly what is needed to “fix” the system, or not. My hope is that it is a start that a majority can support and then tweak the “unforeseen consequences” or the other gritty issues that were left out.

I am most surprised, pleasantly I think, that three Republicans plan to join the Dems in supporting this reform legislation. They are taking great risks, maybe not as great as the signers of the Declaration of Independence who risked their very lives, but who still could face a political death from those on the right who see any bipartisanship as treason.

Even John McCain, at this time in his re-election fight, could not mount another McCain-Feingold type of bill, joining with the “enemy” to actually move some things forward. He could not risk the wrath of right-wingers who might convince even the moderates that he is selling out to liberals. Good thing McCain-Feingold passed a long time ago, despite its “milquetoast” effect on real campaign finance reform.

Now I wish some Democrats, who feel that they are statesmen and stateswomen, could see their way clear to back some moderate Republican proposals. I doubt it will happen, but that would be a change I could believe in.

No comments: