Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Praise the Congress? Well, maybe...a little


I suppose we should be happy that the Congress somehow came together and passed the Transportation bill.  The bill also included allowing student loans to remain at the lower interest rate, rather than the automatic doubling that would have happened.
It is interesting to read that some compromises were made to get this all passed.  Can you believe that some on the right had to give up their “wish list” as did those on the left? This is called working together for the good of the country, or as it used to be known -- COMPROMISE.
So while I continue to berate my Congresspeople to get to work on the budget, deficit, the wars, and so much more, I should at least give them some props for getting the road bill done.  This will not only help to update our country’s infrastructure, it will provide many good jobs for some time to come.  So I have to admit, I sent an email to my representatives in Washington praising them for their actions.
Just like with a little child who is prone to misbehavior, we must use incremental “praisings” when they do something good.

I probably should have left it at that, but I could not resist prodding with a hot stick, my reps who are so recalcitrant on the weightier issues.  I included a few lines, oh heck a paragraph, on how they could do more for the country if they weren’t so partisan and worried about being painted with the Letter C on their frocks.  Compromise is really the only way for a nearly evenly divided Congress to move forward.

Maybe this was a first step.  See!  You can do it!  Just one more step….

No comments: