Thursday, June 13, 2013

Traitor or Hero? Are You Really Asking That?

I am still thinking about the ramifications of the NSA and other leaks perpetrated by Edward Snowden.  I am puzzled how a person without a high school education gets such a sensitive job.  I am amazed that there are so many non-governmental employees with top-secret security clearances.  Clearly, there needs to be a review of all this deep, dark world of espionage.

I do not believe that we, as Americans, should be told everything about what the country is doing to thwart terrorist activity.  That would certainly be counter-productive.  My ideas are evolving about some of the things the government has done in our name to protect us (e.g., phone records).  Part of me wants to be incensed at the intrusion in our free society.  Part of me, probably the cop part, says that if you aren't doing anything illegal, who cares if they collect this data?  I have not resolved that yet.

What I have resolved, however, is the Mr. Snowden is not a hero.  He certainly swore an oath when he got his security clearance to hold the secrets of the USA close to his chest.  He could have left his employment, not deigning to stick with such a horrific job if he was upset at what he was learning.  But no, he kept his (high-paying) job, in Hawaii I might add, until he seemed to have come to the conclusion that he should be the savior of the nation and let fly with all sorts of classified information.

He has done real harm to our security - that is clear to anyone watching the news.  He has put our clandestine services in harm's way needlessly.  Mr. Snowden is nothing but a traitor to his country and to the pledge that he took before he worked for our spy network.  He needs to be caught, charged, tried, and dealt with...severely.

No comments: