Thursday, March 13, 2008

Watching Our Language

Has anyone else noticed the subtle deterioration of our language, now being peppered with curses, obscenities, and scatological references? Maybe it's not so subtle really. Maybe I am just getting more sick of hearing even the lesser offensive language on prime time TV.

Why can't one be "ticked off" instead the ubiquitous "p**sed off". Even Jane Fonda, on morning network TV thought it was OK to use the C word, a most offensive English word. The network had to apologize. What does it add to the language? Some would call it the spice of the vernacular, but I'll go with the vision of sprinkling warm, rotting fish guts into the seafood chowder. It adds flavor but takes away from the savory Piscean essence.

Prime time offers us "ass", "damn", "hell", and would you believe, "b*tch" without shame (I know, I know... they are all in the Bible -- Hey,I used that excuse as a kid also). The reality shows, or let's call them "reality" (wink wink) shows, allow the cast to use their flowery language with a short beep to allegedly cover the foul epithets. But have you ever noticed that some shows manage to leave the "***king" sound in that heinous "f" word, leaving no doubt of what was said. I will say, however, that there are some responsible shows that not only bleep out the swearing, but they put the hazy blob over their mouths so we don't get a shot at testing our lip reading skills.

I don't subscribe to the belief that those who use foul language are limited in their language skills and have to resort to swearing to put some oomph in their discourse. Could be true for some, but I know many very smart people who intentionally choose to accent their conversation with some of the famous 7 words of George Carlin. What I don't know is why. I will admit that I am not without the need for an occasional bar of soap in the mouth, but it usually is when my dander is up. No excuse, but you won't find me swearing in any polite conversation.

This week a study was announced that showed the PG movies with little or no swearing made more money, almost twice as much, than PG movies that had the language rating. Apparently others are not quite as accepting of the blue language as some might think.

We could all make a little effort in this area. First, by not using the spice too often. Second, by teaching our kids that it does not enhance their image with those who count. Finally, when hearing raunchy words in mixed company, draw on your mother's sage warnings of "Watch your language", or my favorite, "Do you eat with that filthy mouth?"

And by the way, at least three of Carlin's banned words are now in common usage on TV.

No comments: