Sunday, March 30, 2008

When Will It All End?


During our trip back to Wisconsin, I took a break from the news cycle for four days. Although I glanced at the headlines of the U.S. Today in the rack, I did not read much during our hurried trip from Arizona. That is a considerable sacrifice for a newshound like me.
Now I have resumed my daily multiple doses of the news: reading the paper, watching at least two networks new shows, and leafing through news magazines when one appears. I found I didn't miss too much.

Sort of like the soap operas where you can miss a day or two, or heck a week or two, the national news is about the same. Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama are still fighting it out, much to the dismay of Howard Dean and other Dems, and much to the glee of Sen. McCain and other Republicans. Of course, it will only intensify and get worse until one of the two yells "Uncle!" and then comes out smiling in support of the other. Wot a country!

I actually enjoy this kind of news, switching with abandon between CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News. I listen to the pundits and wanna-be commentators who offer their opinions, for what they are worth. In my opinion, humbly, I am sticking with my statement that Mrs. Clinton will not prevail. That is unless Mr. Obama's "friends" continue to implode his campaign. As of today he can withstand the scrutiny of his pastor's vitriol, his Chicago contributor's felonies, and his colorful background. However, a few more revelations coming out in dribs and drabs might begin to erode support from an already cynical populace.

The same is true for Hillary, of course, and because she already has such a high negative rating, another faux pas, especially if it pins the Truth Meter needle again, will be enough to settle the battle.

Yet today's news is really not just the "same old, same old". It is nuanced just enough to keep us interested. I am not looking forward to the day when there is only one candidate per party to deal with.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Well, I've said it before, and I still believe it. The in-fighting among the Dems hurts them far more than anything the GOP is doing right now. But let me say this: It IS keeping their names out there in the public eye. Since McCain wrapped up the GOP nomination you hardly ever see his name in a headline or hear a soundbite from him or his campaign. Of course, sometimes, no news is good news, and the McCainies (or McCainers?) could be just biding their time until November 4th (don't bet on it!)

Now I hear that Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) has said that it is time for Hillary to get out of the race because she can't win the nomination. I tend to agree with that view, but sometimes that just makes a person that much more determined to prove someone wrong. If the Dems go into the convention without already having a clear nominee, I don't believe they will have enough time to recover before November. Just one man's opinion...