Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Coining a New Word - Eddress

Eddress, a neologism compressing "e-mail address" to a quicker, niftier form, as in "Give me your eddress so I can send you the document", needs some support.

I can't claim to have created this useful word but enjoy using it. It is so efficient. In fact, it looks like the first use was way back in 1991 but it apparently has not had widespread popularity. New words appear everyday, and being the purist that I am, I am often resistant to these new formations that I will never, no never, use. I still avoid using "prioritize" although I guess it has made the cut and is now accepted as corporate jargon. Harrumph.

But "eddress" I like. It is efficient and understandable. And its prevalence will grow only through usage. So I ask all readers to begin to use it in their writings, their e-mails, and their Christmas cards (I also used to refuse to use Xmas, but I'll save that for later).

The reason for this post is that I use eddress on my editing web site (http://www.jeraldjansen.com/) and I got an e-mail from a surfer who pointed out that my use of such a non-acceptable word might erode potential customers confidence in my editing and writing abilities. I doubt it and hope that others will see the word and say, "hey, this is really efficient and clear, I will use it 14 times today alone". Something like that anyway.

So good readers, see if you can integrate eddress into your writings and correspondence. We have to get this word out so that in a few years, even Webster's will add it to the dictionary.

No comments: