Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Stop That Heartbeat, or Just the Talk About It

I was as shocked at everyone else at the naming of Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska to be the VP running mate for Senator McCain. I am willing to hear more about her, as well as hearing her define her own role in this campaign. My first impression is good, however, I can see that she is a set-up for a Tina Fey parody on Saturday Night Live. The beehive hair, the glasses -- I can't wait to see what SNL does with her. All in good fun, of course.

I too am worried about her foreign policy experience but unless the unthinkable happens (well,, not THAT unthinkable), then she won't have to make the big decisions for someone at her pay grade (around $167,500). I just get tired of hearing the the very tired cliche of "just a heartbeat away from the Presidency". It is overused in normal times, but it has been repeated ad nauseam by every news person, talk show host, Democratic political hack, and others. Enough.

I don't mean that the concern is not legitimate, but let's couch it in more creative terms. Like when "McCain's last plane goes down", or when "President McCain buys the farm (the eighth home)", or when "President McCain gets to meet his namesakes". I could think of many more and challenge any of you to come up with a couple better than "a heartbeat away..."

No comments: