Friday, October 17, 2008

Quixotic Quest For a Toilet Swab

We have traversed the country moving to our new winter home in Mesa, Arizona over the past weeks. So busy were we that my blog has suffered but that will soon change. It may seem odd to reappear on the blog with this topic, in our world of so many crises, but I had to proclaim my quest and maybe see if others would join me.

When we left our home in Wisconsin, we brought only items of which we had duplicates so we didn't have to schlep (neat Yiddish word, isn't it?) stuff back and forth. The exception this year was our new Dyson Animal vacuum cleaner. At almost $500 I thought it foolish to only use it six months a year so into the U-Haul it went.

But on to my quest. One of the items we did not bring with us to the new home was our toilet swab figuring, logically I thought, that we could pick one up at Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, or Big Lots. No, my friends (a little John McCain lingo here), that item was not to be found. Now before your raise your eyebrows thinking that there are plenty of bowl brushes abounding in all stores, I must stop you there.

I do not want that stiff brush type toilet bowl instrument. I want a toilet swab; one that has a mop-like small head with a plastic handle. I could never understand why anyone had to clean a toilet bowl with a stiff brush. I mean, what do you have on your bowl that requires such abrasion? OK, if you go a little too long between cleanings a, ahem, "scum" may form but if you have hardened material that needs chipping off or a stiff brush to combat, then you have other problems.


Not to put too fine a point on it, but a toilet swab cleans the bowl of any scum, any hard water lines, or any errant drippings or droppings quite well. But I can't find one, not anywhere, not at any cost.
I am at a loss. I have two at home that I clearly remember buying. I did not make them up. But in the most American of stores, I cannot find even one.


I will continue my quest in every town and village that has a Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I will scour each Wal-Mart and aim at every Target until I reach my impossible dream.

No comments: