Saturday, February 28, 2009

Project Runway - Arizona Style

No one can accuse my wife of not being bold and adventurous. She has swam with the dolphins and the sting rays; she has volunteered to "disappear" on stage with David Copperfield; and she has even mustered the courage to ride the "Tower of Terror" ride at Disney World. But to walk the runway in a fashion show? Wearing a dress?

Diana does not wear dresses for reasons you might intuit if you know her. She is a skirt and blouse type, or maybe jeans and denim shirt type. But a dress, with a waist, uh....no way.

But when she was asked to model some clothes in a fashion show in our resort in Arizona, she didn't hesitate to say, "Yes!" Of course, she didn't know one of those dresses would be involved.
Each model was asked to walk the runway with two outfits. Diana chose a top with jeans, along with a nice big handbag for her first. The other ladies who were present for the rehearsal then suggested a dress for her. Despite her protestations, they convinced her to at least try on the dress. It was a light fabric with a uneven hem, and a light matching jacket. She was overwhelmed by the positive comments so she said, "What the heck!"
The male folk were not allowed to attend so I asked her to take the camera along for her walk down the runway (actually, a stroll through the tables at the community building).

When she returned home, I asked her how it all went.
"I twirled!" she responded with a dreamy air I hadn't seen in some time.

"That's nice", I said. "Did you like the dress?"

"I twirled", she said again, "I twirled at each end of the aisle". I was so happy for her. Not only did she risk it all and wear a dress, she managed to twirl at the ends of the aisle...twice.

"How did the other ladies look?" I asked to be polite.

"Fine," she said softly. "But I twirled."

Sometimes it is amazing what can make your day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jerry, it's AN uneven hemline ...

tsk, tsk ...

You did that, of course, to see if I was reading your quips.

I loved it and Diana looked smashing ... did she buy the dress?