Sunday, February 22, 2009

Stimulus or Chump Change?

Once, when I loaned a friend $500, he said he would repay me $10 a week from his pay check. I thought about it and then replied that I would rather he paid me the $500 in full in a year than get $10 a week that I would fritter away, or worse, hardly notice as part of my own weekly income.

President Obama's stimulus plan includes a $400 tax rebate for single, and $800 for married, that will not come in one check but will come as an average of $13 fewer dollars per week of federal withholding tax deductions. I might have taken the $400 and bought a Blu-ray disk player, or more cat treats, or gotten my car detailed a few times, thus adding to the needed consumer spending. I am afraid that now I will not only barely see a difference in my paychecks that I direct deposit, I may never really notice that I have a little more pocket money.

I understand the reasoning and I might enjoy the extra money, but a lump sum would have been more helpful. It was not quite enough to invest but was enough to buy a simple pleasure that would have had to wait otherwise.

I am about to be blasphemous, but I would rather not even get the $400. There is strength in numbers and with the multiplier effect, all of these paltry rebates aggregate into a lot of money to really make a difference in schools, health care, research and so on. Taken as a whole, the proposed rebate money could have made a big difference instead of little or no difference to each of us taxpayers. The rebate does only go to those who actually pay taxes, doesn't it?

1 comment:

Jeff said...

The question is: What is going to happen to the people who have their withholding set dangerously close to their actual tax burden? Come tax time next year they will find out that their withholding was $400 less and they may now OWE the IRS instead of getting a nominal refund. SURPRISE! Sure hope all of these lower income people plan ahead!