Monday, July 21, 2008

Hancock - A Movie Review

I will go to almost anything Will Smith has done after "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air". Well, except maybe a rap concert but I'd even consider that. So when Hancock was released and the previews were prevalent, we decided it might be worth seeing. It was worth matinee prices maybe, but a little steep at evening prices.

Don't get me wrong, Will does a fine job with the script he has, but the story makes little sense. He is sort of the "Accidental Superhero", who rather than revel in his powers to do good, he muddles through taking liberal gulps of whiskey (I think it was whiskey anyway), and with some sense of morality does good works (but at a price). The good thing was that his drinking and swearing didn't come off as something most kids would want to emulate so that message was nearly harmless. But hey, I wanted some entertaining dialogue and maybe a little plot. Not that little, however. It was a comedy but I found myself laughing at the inanity rather than the clever lines.

Jason Bateman and a beautiful, slim Charlize Theron did their jobs fairly well, but both stars should have protested at some of the lame story line. Will should have protested as well and he should, by now, have executive producer status on any new film he does.

The writers, Vince and Vince, probably had a good time writing this. But I am not sure the movie goers could say the same thing. Will, we will look for better from you in the future. Take Control.

No comments: