Sunday, January 27, 2008

Speaking of Pregnancy - Juno - a Review


In the previews of Juno, we decided that it looked like an entertaining enough premise to warranted our $13 tickets. So off we went to the multi-plex.

We agreed that the story was a good one, and one that could happen in real life. Yet we were slightly dismayed at the cavalier attitude of Juno toward having a baby and then decided that her true feelings were, at first, disguised in her bravado personality. She was scared, and was concerned about who might raise this child. She wanted to see something real in relationships, not just based on having children.

Some will be put off with the premise of an unmarried teen girl, but here it was less of a choice than many movie types make when they procreate. Juno certainly had sex, obviously without protection, but young people have less internal control than adults, and too often this leads to these consequences.

So after some thought, we decided that this was a good movie that did not proclaim that having babies, either so young or out-of-wedlock, was a great thing. I am just not sure that it was Academy Award material and doubt it will win in the end.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to say right off that I enjoyed this movie. It was a nice change of pace from the action movies that have been saturating the box office. The cast was perfect and the soundtrack was unforgettable (I've been humming the main theme for days!). I really liked Ellen Page's witty, independent, and offbeat character. I did enjoy how the movie took a scenario that is usually looked at as a tragedy and put a lighter, if not comical, spin to it.

Now that I've praised the movie enough, I'm not sure it deserves an Oscar for Best Picture (perhaps for Directing or Screenplay). I was a slightly confused as to the message the film was trying to get across, though that was mostly overshadowed by the upbeat feel it had. I was left a little unsatisfied with the way things ended between Jason Bateman's and Jennifer Garner's characters, Mark and Vanessa respectively. Perhaps that was the writer/director's intent.

Overall it was a great film and well worth the admission. I'm looking forward to the DVD release, this one is a must for my collection!

Unknown said...

Well, it looks like we agree...mostly. I would not buy this one, but then again, I believe in the adage "so many good movies, so little time", so there are not many that I would spend the time watching more than once.

And I hope the Academy agrees with us that the Oscar quality is lacking in Juno.

Anonymous said...

I liked Juno, even though it was so obviously a mainstream pseudo-indie attempt at cinema. It's taking all the best qualities of little known small films with a low budget and making it into a bigger movie with bigger names and more publicity. It was witty and sarcastic. Not really real. It was an attempt at being real, what they think goes on in a teenage kid's head. However, it was good. Funny and offbeat for such a commercialized movie.

I liked the indie music in it though. It was pretty cool they included some little known artists.

p.s. G-pa, I would like to think that internal control doesn't depend on age, but more on maturity. D;